Recreational & Competitive Sailing Club
South of Perth Yacht Club was founded on the 18th December 1945 with the official opening of the Clubhouse at Olives Reserve on the 18th November 1946. Frank Sampson was appointed the very first Commodore until 1949. In 1960 the club was relocated to where it now resides at Coffee Point on the western shore of the Canning River.
To promote boating, the club offers a wide range of services for boat owners. These include under cover storage for racing dinghies, hard standing for trailerable yachts and powerboats, water pens for boats to 25 metres, swing moorings and slipping facilities. An onsite chandlery “Canning River Traders” assists members with maintenance and other boating needs.
The Club has a fully-functional licensed restaurant, with some of Perth’s best views overlooking the Swan and Canning Rivers with a clear view of Perth city. The Restaurant caters for lunches and dinners, as well as special functions. Three bars meet the needs of members and their guests, while two outside areas cater for informal al fresco dining and barbecues.
The South of Perth Yacht Club Sailing Academy is Yachting Australia accredited and offers a variety of courses in both sailing and power boating throughout the year. The club also hosts a gymnasium located in the junior clubhouse equipped with its own trainer. Racing is conducted throughout the year.
VISION AND MISSION
Vision statement for South of Perth Yacht Club.
“As Western Australia’s yachting club of choice, South of Perth Yacht Club seeks to be recognised as an active and successful yacht club encouraging on-water competition and participation of members.”
The vision statement reflects our emphasis upon both on-water competition and participation as “core” to the purpose of the club. The statement was developed with the contribution of the management team and members.
Mission Statement for South of Perth Yacht Club
The mission statement covers how the club intends to conduct its activities to achieve its stated vision:
South of Perth Yacht Club will achieve its vision of being Western Australia’s yachting club of choice, recognised as an industry leader and an active and successful yacht club by:
- ensuring that high standards of governance are applied in club management;
- managing the club activities in a professional, sustainable and financially sound manner;
- consistently providing a high standard of services to our members;
- providing a high standard of infrastructure facilities;
- conducting activities in a responsible manner, thereby meeting all our environmental and occupational health & safety requirements;
- promoting and conducting quality on-water racing and regattas;
- providing an excellent standard of coaching and training services;
- encouraging and managing the highest levels of participation in our nominated yachting classes and divisions; and
- providing a framework for the development of members skills in yachting and boating activities.